Dog Walkers,  Industry News,  Safety

Borders dog walkers warned about cannabis poisonings

Dog walkers in the Borders are being urged to be vigilant after a spate of suspected cannabis poisonings.

Galedin Vets, which has branches across the Borders including in Galashiels and Innerleithen, in Berwick-upon-Tweed, is warning dog walkers to be cautious on walks and to seek immediate veterinary advice if they are concerned a pet may have eaten something it shouldn’t have.

Signs a dog may have eaten cannabis could include aggressive behaviour, being uncoordinated and disorientated, barking, hallucinations, and reduced heart rate.

Vet Kirsty Morrison told the Border Telegraph: “Dogs that have eaten cannabis tend to fully recover within 24 hours but, if they have swallowed a large dose, they can show clinical signs for days.

“We have had a few cases lately and it can be distressing.”

Do you have news for us? Email editorial@thecaninetimes.co.uk

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

poster