Dog Walkers,  Industry News,  Safety

Dog walkers receive palm oil warning

Dog walkers across the UK are being warned after reports of large quantities of palm oil have been washing up on beaches.

The warning comes as a dog was killed after consuming an oil berg on Newgale Beach, in Pembrokeshire.

Palm oil is semi-solid, appears in white lumps and is waxy in appearance, and has a distinctive smell similar to diesel.

Symptoms of palm oil ingestion include diarrhoea, vomiting, dehydration, intestinal blockage, lethargy, and in extreme cases pancreatitis.

Dog experts Kennel Store said: “If a member of the public believes they have spotted palm oil on the beach, it’s advised they dial 999 and ask for the coastguard to make a report. Once a report has been made, it will be investigated by the local and relevant authorities.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *