Keep Wales Tidy’s national dog fouling campaign is highlighting the case of a rugby player whose leg has ‘never been right since’ being infected by dog poo 17 years ago.
Darryl Adams was hospitalised in 2005 after his shin was stamped on with rugby boot studs, covered in dog poo, in a Blaenau Gwent playing field, which caused a cellulitis infection.
Keep Wales Tidy’s campaign aims to raise awareness of the health risks associated with dog poo, as well as carrying harmful bacteria which can lead to infection, asthma and blindness, bacteria can live in soil long after the dog poo has decomposed.
Lesley Jones, Keep Wales Tidy Chief Executive, said: “We urge the minority of irresponsible dog owners to do the right thing and pick up after their pets. By not picking up after your dog, you could be putting people at risk.
“Darryl’s story highlights just how harmful dog poo can be for people. Dog poo isn’t just an unpleasant mess, it can be dangerous. Please bag it, bin it and leave only pawprints when you’re out and about.”
Based on research by behaviour change experts, bright pink signs, posters, pawprint stencils and bin stickers are appearing across the country to ‘nudge’ people into making the right decision.